LGBTI+ Asylum Seekers in South Africa: A Review of Refugee Status Denials Involving Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Join the Legal Resources Centre (LRC), the Women’s Legal Centre (WLC), the African LGBTQI+ Migration research Network (ALMN), and People Against Suffering, Oppression and Poverty (PASSOP) for the public launch of their new collaborative report: LGBTI+ Asylum Seekers in South Africa: A Review of Refugee Status Denials Involving Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity.
The report analyses 67 refugee status denials written on behalf of 65 applicants who applied for asylum on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identity (SOGI). The partners’ goal in reviewing the sample was to identify trends and potential shortcomings in the adjudication of SOGI-based refugee applications. The report is intended to serve as a resource for researchers, lawyers, service providers and civil society organisations, as well as for LGBTI+ persons seeking protection in South Africa.
The launch will feature inputs from the report’s authors, as well as a reflection by one of the LGBTI+ asylum seekers whose status denial was analysed. This will be followed by a Q&A session in which key themes and issues are unpacked in detail.
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2021
Please register: https://tinyurl.com/LGBTrefugee
[This webinar invitation has been slightly edited from its original version, which was circulated by the partner organisations.]
- LGBTI+ Asylum Seekers in South Africa: A Review of Refugee Status Denials Involving Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity - April 26, 2021
- Marooned: Transgender Asylum Seekers in Johannesburg - October 5, 2020
- B Camminga talks transgender refugees in South Africa - May 10, 2019
- WAIT Midway Conference - February 25, 2019
- CfP for 8th European Conference on African Studies (Edinburgh, 11-14 June 2019) - January 9, 2019
- Transgender Refugees and the Imagined South Africa: Bodies over Borders and Borders over Bodies - December 7, 2018
- “Gender Refugees” in South Africa: The “Common-Sense” Paradox, in: Africa Spectrum - July 4, 2018