PODCAST: African Dialogue, Effects of Covid-19 on Migration
The outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, which led to many countries closing their borders and instituting lockdowns, has left many citizens stranded across the globe. Last week, reports from the Malawian border with Mozambique, said over nine buses ferrying Malawian repatriates from South Africa, has crossed the Mozambique side of the border into Malawi, but are now stranded in no-man’s land. Authorities on the Malawi side have apparently not given the go-ahead and clarity, whether the repatriates should be let free to join their families or get tested and quarantined first. Meanwhile the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) says thousands of African migrants are stuck in their countries of destination.
To help us unpack all these Channel Africa spoke to:
• Jo Vearey who is an Associate Professor with the African Centre for Migration & Society, University of the Witwatersrand,
• Clayson Monyela is from the Department of International Relations and Cooperation,
• Leon Isaacson is the group CEO for Global Migration.
[This podcast was originally broadcast on Channel Africa’s African Dialogue show, on 9 June 2020: Effects of Covid-19 on Migration.]
- WEBINAR: Impact of Covid-19 on migrants - April 18, 2023
- Turning up the heat: A conceptual model for understanding the migration and health in the context of global climate change - March 29, 2023
- PODCAST: Vaccination of undocumented migrants - August 5, 2021
- TV INTERVIEW: Jabs for asylum seekers and undocumented migrants - August 3, 2021
- PODCAST: Calls for Covid-19 vaccination of undocumented - July 30, 2021
- TV INTERVIEW: Vaccination of undocumented migrants and asylum seekers - July 29, 2021
- OP-ED: Leave No One Behind: We must urgently address vaccination of undocumented migrants and asylum seekers - July 27, 2021
- The call for vaccines for undocumented migrants - July 22, 2021
- PRESENTATION: The effect of the Covid-19 pandemic on migrants and migration in South Africa - March 22, 2021
- WEBINAR INVITE: Present And Imminent: Crises And Complexity In Mexico And South Africa - February 9, 2021
0 Comments on "PODCAST: African Dialogue, Effects of Covid-19 on Migration"