Policy making in context
Whilst both migration and health are highly political issues in South Africa and globally, policy responses do to not appear to prioritise harnessing the developmental benefits of migration. Consequently, as a by-product of poor policy, unhealthy migrant populations – such as migrant farm workers – are often created. This project investigates the making and effects of policy around migration and health for migrant farm workers in Vhembe District, Limpopo.
Very little is known about what drives policy making in South Africa, particularly around migration and health. Understanding policy to be the result of both action and a lack of action on the part of the state, the aim of this project is to develop an approach that is able to go some way in explaining the policy process in South Africa.
Using migration and health policies as case studies, this project will examine how these policies are made, what effect they have on the health of migrant farm workers, and how these findings can be used to improve both the policy process and policy responses to migration and health in South Africa.
As an exploratory project, a mixed methods approach will be used, which will include key informant interviews, an analysis of grey literature, process tracing, and a quantitative survey with migrant farm workers.
- Research on the Move: Exploring WhatsApp as a tool for understanding the intersections between migration, mobility, health and gender in South Africa - July 5, 2021
- Responding to the health needs of migrant farm workers in South Africa: Opportunities and challenges for sustainable community‐based responses - September 4, 2019
- A week of migration & health in Joburg: Where are we? Where do we go? - August 7, 2019
- After the handover: Exploring MSF’s role in the provision of health care to migrant farm workers in Musina, South Africa - March 13, 2019
- The globalisation of trafficking and its impact on the South African counter-trafficking legislation - March 4, 2019
- How Unpopular Policies are Made: Examples from South Africa, Singapore and Bangladesh - September 14, 2018
- Policy making in context - December 6, 2016