PODCAST: Bietbridge humanitarian crisis
South Africa’s Home Affairs Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi has warned of a looming humanitarian crisis as pressure mounts at South Africa’s border posts. Long queues and desperate attempts to enter South Africa have placed a huge strain on the country’s border posts with neighbouring countries.
On the Beitbridge border posts hundreds of Zimbabweans have been captured waiting for days in the line to escape the thirty day hard lockdown that was recently implemented. The lockdown is said to be harsher than that of South Africa. Some of the reasons for the delays are that travellers are required to produce a valid negative Covid-19 test result obtained 72 hours before the date of travel.
To take the conversation further Channel Africa spoke to:
• Leon Isaacson who is the managing director at Global Migration South Africa, and
[This podcast was originally broadcast on Channel Africa’s African Dialogue show, on 7 January 2021: Bietbridge humanitarian crisis.]
- PODCAST: Vaccination of undocumented migrants - August 5, 2021
- TV INTERVIEW: Jabs for asylum seekers and undocumented migrants - August 3, 2021
- PODCAST: Calls for Covid-19 vaccination of undocumented - July 30, 2021
- TV INTERVIEW: Vaccination of undocumented migrants and asylum seekers - July 29, 2021
- OP-ED: Leave No One Behind: We must urgently address vaccination of undocumented migrants and asylum seekers - July 27, 2021
- The call for vaccines for undocumented migrants - July 22, 2021
- PRESENTATION: The effect of the Covid-19 pandemic on migrants and migration in South Africa - March 22, 2021
- WEBINAR INVITE: Present And Imminent: Crises And Complexity In Mexico And South Africa - February 9, 2021
- VIDEO: Building capacity for research on migration and health - January 26, 2021
- Refugees and migrants are vulnerable to ‘vaccine nationalism’ as host nations put their own citizens first - January 25, 2021