Moeketsi Modisenyane is the Director: International Health Relations and Support at the National Department of Health, South Africa. Moeketsi is currently working with various academic institutes, civil society, regional and international organisations and partners in securing the right to health for migrants in the South Africa and the SADC regional.
About: Moeketsi has an MSc (Wits) and MpH (Pretoria) degree. He is currently a PhD candidate with the School of Health Systems and Public Health at the University of Pretoria. His main areas of focus among others, is to formulate, coordinate and implement South Africa’s engagement on health with Africa and other countries and international organizations. Moeketsi has a strong interest in global health issues; migration, health and development; global health systems and global health governance. He is also an advocate for training and capacity building in global health and to bring about African voices and perspectives in global health issues. He has participated in international, regional and national/local migrants forum such as the SADC Health Ministers meetings and South African National Consultations on Migration and Health.He has represented South Africa in a number of regional and global science and health fora such as African Union, SADC, WHO, IBSA and BRICS formations.
Moeketsi also serves at various national committees such as the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Intellectual Property and is currently an executive member of the Public Health Association of South Africa (PHASA). He has also served in various structures for arranging regional and global conferences such as the African Union Conferences of Ministers of Health African Union (CAHMA 3) in 2007, the 3rd Conference of the Parties to the World Health Organisation’s Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (COP3) in 2008 and the UN High Level Panel on Access to Medicines Meeting in 2016. He has been providing technical advice to various conferences such as the International AIDS Conference, July 2016 and International Hospital Federation scheduled from 31st October 2016 to 3rd November 2016.
- PODCAST: Why are migrants being excluded from SA’s response to Covid-19? - June 26, 2020
- PODCAST: African Dialogue, Effects of Covid-19 on Migration - June 15, 2020
- VIDEO: Coronavirus amid a vulnerable populace - April 15, 2020
- OP-ED: Why xenophobia is bad for the health of all in South Africa - April 3, 2020
- OP-ED: Border walls don’t stop viruses. But this might - April 2, 2020
- OP-ED: Foreign migrants must be included in Covid-19 response - March 26, 2020
- PODCAST: Winter is coming - March 23, 2020
- OP-ED: Hypocrisy in the time of Covid-19 - March 18, 2020
- VIDEO: Unfiltered: Coronavirus - March 18, 2020
- PODCAST: Migration in Africa - December 17, 2019