WEBINAR INVITE: Present And Imminent: Crises And Complexity In Mexico And South Africa
maHp/ACMS director Professor Jo Vearey will be taking part in this virtual South-South dialogue titled ‘Present and Imminent: Crises and Complexity in Mexico and South Africa’, organised by UNAM-Sudáfrica Centro de Estudios Mexicanos. The webinar will focus on contemporary and emerging crises in the two countries, including Covid-19. Vearey will be presenting on her interdisciplinary research focusing on the intersections between migration and health.
Both Mexico and South Africa face multiple ecological and economic problems, as reflected by biodiversity loss, water, food and energy crises, the increasing burden of non-communicable diseases, and new infections including Covid-19. Pressures from continued urbanisation, migration, and unemployment, partly due to such challenges, contribute to local anxiety, violence and systemic inequality.
In this panel, we use this mix of problems as portals to examine the interrelationship of physical, social and biological worlds, as studied by members of the two universities. We will focus on the twin challenges in urban Mexico and South Africa of climate change and migration, both of which present escalating challenges of scope and intensity. We will explore the bidirectional relationships of different crises, and will reflect on the challenges for improved governance and in implementing policies and programs. We will conclude by considering how these problems are common in LMIC, and the role of G-24 countries like Mexico and South Africa in addressing these questions, and in responding to them as a model of new global leadership.
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2020
Time: 9 am (Mexico City) 5 pm (Johannesburg) 2 am Wednesday 24 (Melbourne)
Duration: 1 hr. 30 minutes
The event will be broadcast on the UNAM-South Africa Facebook page.
- WEBINAR INVITE: Present And Imminent: Crises And Complexity In Mexico And South Africa - February 9, 2021
- VIDEO: Building capacity for research on migration and health - January 26, 2021
- Refugees and migrants are vulnerable to ‘vaccine nationalism’ as host nations put their own citizens first - January 25, 2021
- OP-ED: Vaccine nationalism and migration: Implications for the (mis)management of Covid-19 in South Africa - January 21, 2021
- VIDEO: How the governments can deal with immigration during the Covid-19 pandemic? - January 15, 2021
- PODCAST: Bietbridge humanitarian crisis - January 14, 2021
- OP-ED: Drones, dinghies and an army helicopter – why the state’s new toys won’t help South Africa’s response to Covid-19 - January 14, 2021
- Statement on Covid-19 and Migration Governance in Africa - December 3, 2020
- PODCAST: Why are migrants being excluded from SA’s response to Covid-19? - June 26, 2020
- PODCAST: African Dialogue, Effects of Covid-19 on Migration - June 15, 2020