Examining the use of participatory visual and narrative methods to explore the lived experience of migrants in Southern Africa
Elsa Oliveira & Jo Vearey (2017) Examining the use of participatory visual and narrative methods to explore the lived experience of migrants in Southern Africa, Migrating out of Poverty Working Paper.
In this paper, we explore the opportunities – and challenges – associated with visual research methodologies. Drawing on the MoVE (methods: visual: explore) project that explores the lived experiences of migrant groups in southern Africa, we reflect on our experiences in exploring the visual in research. We argue that including visual and narrative methods- as part of mixed methods studies- offers researchers an important opportunity to engage in the ‘feel’ of events and the lives of the participants of such research projects. Not only do these methods provide a creative platform whereby participants can be included in the production of knowledge, they also highlight the need to consider the subjectivity of knowledge and the power inherent in the production and curation of knowledge. Visual and narrative methodologies offer an opportunity to engage in various theoretical and epistemological frameworks. Importantly, while using these methods are not without logistical and ethical challenges, participants report valuing their involvement in these projects.
- CfP: Special Issue – (Re)imagining Research, Activism, and Rights at the Intersections of Sexuality, Health, and Social Justice - August 23, 2020
- SeaM: Security at the Margins - July 6, 2020
- The personal is political: a feminist reflection on a journey into participatory arts-based research with sex worker migrants in South Africa - November 7, 2019
- Mwangaza Mama - March 11, 2019
- Mapping Trends: Power imbalances and the circulation of information on sex work - October 30, 2018
- Making Research and Building Knowledge with Communities: Examining Three Participatory Visual and Narrative Projects with Migrants Who Sell Sex in South Africa - November 15, 2017
- Elsa Oliveira - August 20, 2017
- Examining the use of participatory visual and narrative methods to explore the lived experience of migrants in Southern Africa - August 10, 2017
- Beyond the single story: creative research approaches with migrant sex workers in South Africa - May 4, 2017
- Queer Crossings - December 2, 2016