“Voetsek! Us, Brothers?” Screening
An African refugee asks his (South) African attackers “My brothers, why are you doing this to me?” Their response… “Voetsek! Us, brothers?”
Combining participant and professional footage with government press-conferences, and filmed over ten years, Voetsek! Us, Brothers? captures the shocking outbreaks and responses to large-scale xenophobic violence in 2008 and 2015. The film uses xenophobic outbreaks to tell a complex story through the eyes of “victims” and “perpetrators”. These stories are intertwined with public statements from a duplicitous State. Nuanced, intimate and uncomfortable insights emerge on the causes, as well as the complicities that trigger and sustain xenophobic violence.
Date : 21 June 2018
Time : 12:30 – 14:00
Venue change: ACMS Seminar Room 2163, South East Wing, Second Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House, Braamfontein East Campus University of the Witwatersrand [see map here]
Additional Directions: Use North East Lifts (where I-CAM or the Wits Shop is) and go up to the 2nd floor
NB: The director of the documentary Andy Spitz will be there to engage in Q&A!
RSVP: Email Roshan Dadoo at email@example.com.
- Migration and health in Southern Africa Regional Symposium - September 24, 2019
- Woman is the thread: maHp intern covers the Mwangaza Mama book launch - June 24, 2019
- Inception meeting: Migration, gender and health system responses in South Africa – A focus on the movement of healthcare users and workers - June 21, 2019
- [Meeting Report] Global Forum on Bioethics in Research – “Ethics of research with refugee and migrant populations, 2017” - December 27, 2018
- SEMINAR: Protection of Asylum Seekers, Refugees in South Africa - November 28, 2018
- ACMS as a Centre of Excellence in Mobility and Migration - November 25, 2018
- Voetsek! screening sparks dialogue - July 13, 2018
- B Camminga one of the M&G 200 Young South Africans - June 30, 2018
- “Voetsek! Us, Brothers?” Screening - June 12, 2018
- Sex work decrim discussions continue - March 30, 2018